University Service Representatives
Lisa Billingham, Music (three-year term ends 2021)
Ed Gero, Theater, (Term ends 2023)
Ben Steger, Film and Video Studies, (three-year term ends 2023)
Tom Owens, Music
Karen Reedy, Dance
Tommy Britt, Film and Video Studies
The College of Visual and Performing Arts has several dedicated committees that support the college throughout the academic year. Click below to find out more information about each.
- Carole Rosenstein (Parlimentarian), Arts Management, 2021
- Seth Hudson (Chair), Computer Game Design, 2021/2022 max.
- Carrie Ann Delaney (Secretary), Music, 2021/2023 max.
The Dean’s Committee represents all enterprises of the college: academic, professional, and community. The panel's purpose is to increase communication and collaboration among college constituencies. The dean reports on the work of this committee to the faculty.
At a minimum, the Dean’s Committee shall be comprised of the dean, associate and assistant deans (ex officio), the chief financial officer of the college (ex officio), the chair of the faculty, the secretary of the faculty, one representative from each Standing Committee and Ad Hoc Committee, the executive director of the Center for the Arts, the executive director of the Hylton Performing Arts Center, and one representative from each college-related professional and community organization, as agreed upon by the dean and the chair of the faculty.
As the committee's business dictates, the dean may also invite representatives from any academic school, department, or program in the College of Visual and Performing Arts not otherwise represented, or from other academic, professional, or community groups.
The mission of The CVPA Artists for Social Action Committee is to develop, sponsor, and/or promote arts events that focus on important societal issues, and to foster community engagement among the arts disciplines and with Mason students, faculty and staff. The Committee will review proposals brought forth by student and faculty liaisons from each academic unit in CVPA and make recommendations to the Dean of CVPA.
- Mimsi Janis, Theater (Chair), 2022
- Kevin Murray, Theater, 2021
- Jason Carrier, Art, 2022
- Roger Jeffrey, Dance, 2022
- Nikyatu Jusu, Film and Video Studies, 2021
- Maura Ugarte, Film and Video Studies, 2022
- Gregory Grimsby, Computer Game Design, 2022
- Jim Carroll, Music, 2021
The Curriculum Committee reviews and makes recommendations on all proposals for College curriculum initiatives, including proposals for new courses or curricula, deletion of or modifications to existing courses or curricula, and revisions to all college undergraduate and graduate program requirements.
The panel also provides guidance to the college’s schools, departments, and programs regarding appropriate procedures and policies, and time lines to be followed for the preparation and presentation of curricular proposals. It also ensures that all university and college curriculum procedures and policies are followed.
- Karalee Dawn MacKay, Arts Management, 2022
- Don Starr, Art, 2021
- Karen Reedy, Dance, 2022
- Amanda Kraus, Film and Video Studies, 2021
- Robert Dieterich, Computer Game Design, 2022
- Charles Ciorba, Music, 2021
- Emily Green, Music, (At-Large), 2021
- Sherrice Mojgani, Theater, 2022
The committee is responsible for promoting diversity, equity, and inclusiveness in the life of the college. Its purview includes gathering information about diversity within the college; bringing educational opportunities to the attention of faculty and staff; responding to diversity issues as they relate to academic programming, to recruitment and retention of students, to visual and performing arts experiences, to our extended community of professionals in the arts, and to audiences for the arts; and to the hiring, retention, and quality of work life for faculty and staff of the college.
- Deb Sivigny (Co-Chair),Theater, 2022
- Robert Yi, Art (Co-Chair), 2021
- Chawky Frenn, Art, 2021
- Amanda Fuller 2022
- Christopher d'Amboise, Dance, 2022
- Hans Charles, Film and Video Studies, 2021
- Josiah Leibowitz, Computer Game Design, 2022
- Elaine Rendler, Music, 2021
The committee oversees and investigates issues related to the academic freedom, conditions of employment, and charges of unprofessional or unethical conduct brought by one Faculty member against another. This Committee is particularly charged to be alert to instances of inequitable treatment. All grievances, however, that deal with alleged discrimination and/or sexual harassment are referred directly to the University’s equity officer or to the appropriate University committee charged with the investigations of these complaints. A committee member who has any special connection to one or more parties in a grievance shall recuse himself or herself from the case. With the exception of cases in which a specific committee member has recused himself or herself, all members of the committee must vote on any recommendations to be issued by the committee, and approval requires a majority of those voting.
- Peter Winant, Art, 2022
- Mark Cooley (At-Large), Art, 2021
- Carole Rosenstein Arts Management, 2021
- Dan Joyce, Dance, 2022
- Giovanna Chesler, Film and Video Studies, 2021
- Seth Hudson, Computer Game Design, 2022
- Dennis Layendecker, Music, 2021
- Kristin Johnsen-Neshati, Theater, 2022
The committee serves as the promotion and tenure review committee for all faculty of the College of Visual and Performing Arts. It accepts recommendations from the college’s schools, departments, and programs, deliberates, votes, and forwards its own recommendation to the dean of the college following the timeline set forth by the Office of the Provost, and in accordance with the procedures and criteria outlined in the George Mason University Faculty Handbook.
- Jim Lepore (Full Professor), Dance, 2022
- Stan Engebretson, (Full Professor/Chair), 2021
- William Reeder (Full Professor), Arts Management, 2022
- Sang Nam (Associate Professor), Computer Game Design, 2022
- Gail Scott White, Art, (Full Professor), 2021
- Tommy Britt (Assoc. Professor), Film and Video Studies, 2021
- Jim Carroll (At-Large), 2021
- Heather McDonald, (Full Professor), 2021