Arts Management, Minor
Arlington: Metropolitan Bldg, 5060
3351 North Fairfax Drive, MS 1C8
Arlington, VA 22201
The fields of visual and performing arts offer many career paths that rely on a strong foundation in one or more art forms and require specific knowledge and skills in administration and management. The minor in arts management is open to all CVPA majors as well as art history majors, and to all other students upon completion of nine credits of arts-related course work.
This information is being provided here for your planning purposes only. For official catalog information, please refer instead to the official George Mason University Catalog Website at http://catalog.gmu.edu.
Minors must be completed in conjunction with a bachelor’s degree. Please see the University Catalog for complete information on program requirements and policies. Additional specifications may apply.
Minor Requirements (18 credits)
- AMGT 405 - Seminar in Arts Management Credits: 3
- AMGT 410 - Arts Advocacy and Community Credits: 3
- 3-4 credits of AMGT 489 - Internship in Arts Management Credits: 1-4
- 2-3 credits from the following:
- Six credits from the following:
- AVT 307 - Aesthetics Credits: 3
- AVT 309 - Art as Social Action Credits: 3
- DANC 390 - Dance History I Credits: 3
- DANC 391 - Dance History II Credits: 3
- GAME 230 - History of Computer Game Design Credits: 3
- THR 201 - Stage Management Credits: 3
- THR 202 - Literary Management Credits: 1
- THR 203 - Production/Company Management Credits: 1
- THR 355 - Moral Vision in American Theater Credits: 3
- THR 359 - World Stages Credits: 3
- THR 395 - Theater as the Life of the Mind Credits: 3
- AVT 392 - Gallery Practices Credits: 3
- AVT 395 - Writing for Artists Credits: 3
- DANC 270 - Dance Production Lab Credits: 1
- DANC 318 - Global Perspectives: World Dance Forms Credits: 3
- DANC 372 - Advanced Dance Production Credits: 1
- FAVS 352 - Ethics of Film and Video Credits: 3
- MUSI 331 - Music History in Society I Credits: 3
- MUSI 332 - Music History in Society II Credits: 3
- MUSI 393 - Music Administration and Management Credits: 2
- MUSI 401 - Impact of the Arts on Civilization Credits: 3
- ARTH 374 - Art Now Credits: 3
- ARTH 394 - The Museum Credits: 3
- COMM 300 - Foundations of Public Communication Credits: 3
Hands-on learning through required internships provides students a chance to apply the concepts they are learning in the classroom, while gaining professional experience in managing arts venues. For more information about the internship program and a list of previous internship sites, visit the arts management website (http://artsmanagement.gmu.edu/internships).
Each summer Mason Arts Management travels around the world to a different country to engage in the comparative study of arts management practices abroad. Learn more about previous trips here and sign up for our mailing list to learn more about future arts management study abroad opportunities.
Mason Arts Management provides its students with co-curricular opportunities that prepare them for their career. This includes offering regular professional development workshops, lectures, and networking events, as well as weekly job announcements tailored to those pursuing a career in the arts.