Music and Wellness Minor
This minor, designed for students with minimal formal musical training, allows students to explore the connection between music and consciousness as well as vibration, mindfulness, and well-being. Admission to the Music and Wellness minor is by interview with the minor coordinator.
This information is being provided here for your planning purposes only. For official catalog information, please refer instead to the official George Mason University Catalog Website at http://catalog.gmu.edu.
Minors must be completed in conjunction with a bachelor’s degree. Please see the University Catalog for complete information on program requirements and policies. Additional specifications may apply.
Admission to the Music and Well-Being Minor is by interview with the Minor coordinator.
Minor Requirements (18 credits)
- One of the following:
- MUSI 101 - Introduction to Classical Music Credits: 3
- MUSI 171 - Keyboard Skills I Credits 1 *
- MUSI 300 - Recital Attendance Credits 0 (2 semesters)
- MUSI 366 - Class Percussion Credits: 1 *
- MUSI 367 - Class Guitar Credits: 1 *
- MUSI 455 - Music as a Healing Art Credits: 3
- MUSI 477 - Music and Consciousness Credits: 3
- MUSI 485 - Chamber Ensembles Credits: 1 - Healing Arts Ensemble (must be taken for three credits)
* Students demonstrating proficiency in keyboard, percussion, or guitar may substitute other MUSI 100-499 courses at the discretion of the Program Coordinator.
Music and Well-Being minors at Mason work with world-class faculty. Music students also study and perform in beautiful spaces outfitted with up to date technology. Mason School of Music is an all-Steinway school. Performance opportunities are available for all musicians at Mason in more than 20 ensembles.