Teacher Theater PK-12, Graduate Certificate
de Laski Performing Arts Bldg, A407
4400 University Drive, MS 3E6
Fairfax, VA 22030
The Teaching Theatre Arts Pre-K – 12 Graduate Certificate is a pre-service program that prepares students who hold an undergraduate degree in Theatre (BFA, BA or equivalent) for Theatre Arts licensure by the Commonwealth of Virginia. In conjunction with the College of Education and Human Development, the Certificate curriculum consists of graduate-level Theater and Education courses, field experience observation and pre-service teaching internship.
This information is being provided here for your planning purposes only. For official catalog information, please refer instead to the official George Mason University Catalog Website at http://catalog.gmu.edu.
Graduate certificates may be pursued independently or in conjunction with a graduate degree program. Please see the University Catalog for complete information on program requirements and policies. Additional specifications may apply.
In addition to meeting the standard admission requirements for this program, admission to the licensure program is contingent on meeting the state’s endorsement requirements along with a minimum 3.00 cumulative undergraduate GPA. Eligibility for any licensure program at Mason may require additional course work to establish proficiency in Theater. Students will be required to satisfy the required state endorsement courses prior to student teaching.
Admissions requirements include:
- Online application to the university
- Transcripts from each institution previously attended
- Goals: Statement that describes the applicant’s intent for apply to program
- Letters of Recommendation
- Endorsement Worksheet: this form verifies that the applicant meets the state requirements to begin a licensure program in Art Education
- Praxis Core Exam: Please review the score minimum and possible test substitutes here. Students who do not have a passing score or suitable substitute cannot be admitted into the program.
This certificate may be earned either on a part time or full time basis.
Certificate Requirements (21 credits)
- THR 548 - Advanced Foundations of Theater Education Credits: 3
- EDRD 501 - Literacy and Curriculum Integration, PK-12 Credits: 3
- EDUC 539 - Human Development and Learning PK-12 Credits: 3
- THR 549 - Advanced Elementary Theater Ed Credits: 3
- THR 550 - Advanced Secondary Education Credits: 3
- Six credits of THR 555 - Theater Education Internship Credits: 4-12
Students must pass certain state requirements for classroom teachers before being placed in an internship.
Mason's School of Theater offers every style of theater imaginable, including period pieces, contemporary plays and musicals, all produced in state-of-the-art venues. Beyond the classroom, students have access to Washington, D.C., home to a busy film and video hub and the nation’s 2nd largest theater scene. Graduates of our program have gone on to work at middle and high schools throughout the Northern Virginia area, and are truly making their marks on theater arts education! Our students have created a strong support network both at Mason and beyond, and serve as a resource for one another as they embark upon their careers as theater educators.