Young Alumni Commissioning Project
College of Visual and Performing Arts
Young Alumni Commissioning Project
The application period for this award has closed. See a list of this year’s award recipients. The next call for proposals will be announced winter 2019.
George Mason University’s College of Visual and Performing Arts aims to continue supporting the work of its recent alumni through the Young Alumni Commissioning Project. With the goal of providing crucial support for our alumni’s artistic development, one recent CVPA alum will be commissioned to create a new artistic work.
The artist will receive:
- $2,500 commissioning fee
- up to $2,500 of project expenses, including but not limited to artist fees, licensing fees, equipment rental/purchase, and travel expenses
- Venue support to include production and marketing support for a public showing of the work
Applicant must be a graduate of the College of Visual and Performing Arts from the class of 2008 and after.
Alums having completed undergraduate and/or graduate degrees, and certificate holders are eligible, as are double majors and recognized minors. Collaborative teams are eligible if one or more CVPA alums have a key creative role in the project.
Scope of Work
Proposals should be for an original new work in any art form, suitable for performance, exhibition, or screening in a Mason venue. Size/length/duration/magnitude/content are at the artist’s discretion. Potential CVPA venues include Mason’s traditional theater spaces, galleries, and cinemas, but proposals for non-traditional venues will also be considered.
The work should be ready for public presentation during the 2019-2020 academic year and season (roughly September 2019 through June 2020). The public presentation could take many formats, from a work-in-progress showing to a fully-produced performance or exhibition.
We are delighted to launch this project to recognize and support young alumni from our CVPA family with those three key resources every artist needs: time, money, and space.
Rick Davis, Dean of College of Visual and Performing Arts
Proposals should be emailed to the CVPA Dean’s Office to the attention of Evie Alis, marked “Young Alumni Commissioning Project.” The deadline is 11:59 p.m. on February 15, 2019.
Proposals should be submitted in a single pdf format, with hyperlinks to work samples embedded within the document if necessary. Only electronic submissions will be accepted
Proposals should include the following:
- Project Summary: 2 – 3 paragraph project summary outlining the overall concept for the project as well as the anticipated creation timeline.
- Work Samples: 2 work samples in a medium appropriate to the project (video, text, images, sound files, etc.). Please provide a brief description of the work included in the work sample and explain how it is reflective of or relevant to the proposed project. Work samples may be excerpted from full-length works.
- Project Budget: Project Budget outlining estimated expenses. If commission award will not cover all anticipated expenses, please explain how adequate funding will be secured.
- Creative Team: A list of any relevant members of the creative team with brief biographies (150 words or less).
Selection Process and Criteria
A faculty and staff panel will make recommendations to the Dean, who will make the final selection. Project proposals will be evaluated with the following criteria in mind:
- Artistic Excellence
- Impact on the artist’s career trajectory
- Feasibility of completion
The commission recipient will be announced on March 22, 2019. Commissioning Funds will be disbursed in two payments, detailed in the commission agreement. Expense account funds are reimbursements and will be disbursed in batches as they are received.
Email Adrienne Bryant Godwin, CVPA Programming Manager.