Celebrate the completion of your challenging journey and your first steps into a new life and career. Invite friends and family to Mason’s in-person ceremonies, including University Commencement and individual Degree Celebrations.
CVPA Degree Celebration Program
College of Visual and Performing Arts Commencement and Degree Celebration
Thursday, May 18, 2023, 3:30 p.m.
Location: Center for the Arts Concert Hall, Fairfax Campus
The College of Visual and Performing Arts, in cooperation with the school or program of your major, invites all 2023 spring graduates and their families, to the CVPA Degree Celebration.
Watch a recording of the CVPA Commencement Ceremony on May 18, 2023.
Things to Know About the Ceremony
Graduating students received an email from the ticketing system – email@example.com - with the subject line "Thank You for your order". Within that email is the link to the tickets.
- Graduates do not need tickets for themselves. Graduates can distribute all of their tickets directly to their guests.
- To email a digital ticket to a guest, use the "forward" button at the bottom of the digital ticket.
- Tickets can be presented at the venue as either digital tickets or paper tickets.
- Digital tickets can be saved to the Apple Wallet on Apple devices or to the Google Wallet.
- Tickets can be instead be printed at home from a desktop device.
- Tickets may not be duplicated. Each ticket has a unique barcode, which will be scanned at the venue.
- Infants and babies (ages 2 and under) may be held in the lap of a guest and do not require a Degree Celebration ticket. On the day of the Degree Celebration, Center for the Arts will provide a lap pass to these guests in lieu of a ticket.
- Graduates are encouraged to return tickets that they do not need for their guests by forwarding them via e mail to the Center for the Arts Ticket Office.
- If anyone in your party requires accessible seating or services or if you need assistance with your tickets, please email the Ticket Office or call 703-993-2787.
Claiming Additional Tickets
If additional tickets remain available after all tickets have been disbursed and any extra tickets have been returned to the Ticket Office, information on claiming additional tickets will be shared in early May. If you know you will not need all of your allotted tickets, please forward any extras back so that others may use them.
- Guests without tickets will be directed to the standby area in the Center for the Arts lobby.
- Based on available seating, parties physically present in the standby area will be seated on a first-come, first-served basis. However, all members of the party may not be able to be seated together.
- The time and placement of standby seating will be determined at the discretion of house management. Standby seating may be available after the official start of the celebration.
- In order to make sure every available seat is filled, guests with tickets may not save seats in the Concert Hall.
- A livestream of the CVPA celebration will be available on or linked from Mason’s main commencement page and may be available to view on site from the standby area.
When to Arrive
Please plan to arrive one hour before the start of your ceremony and follow signs to the graduates' lineup area. If weather permits, graduates will walk in a procession into the arena at the beginning of the ceremony. Main doors to the Center for the Arts open for guests one hour prior to the ceremony. Graduates are encouraged to attend the official university commencement ceremony as well which will take place on Thursday, May 18 at 10 a.m.
On the Day
- All graduates are individually recognized by name and photographed on stage.
- Celebrations include select speakers and performances.
- Caps and gowns are worn.
Watch a recording of the George Mason University Commencement on May 18
Accessibility at the Center for the Arts
Are you graduating this spring with your undergraduate or graduate degree? Interested in sharing your Mason journey and experience with others? You could be the 2023 Spring Commencement Student Speaker on May 18th! Please consider applying to be the student speaker at this year’s university commencement. The deadline is March 19 to submit your speech, with committee review to follow. Find full details on becoming the student speaker.