Graduate Admissions FAQs

Center of Art building
International Applicants: Are You Ready?
International Applicants: Are You Ready?

Review the additional requirements for admissions and visa paperwork to ensure a more seamless application process.

Students audition for productions in the TheaterSpace. The School of Theater prepares graduates for careers on the stage and screen by offering a wide range of courses, numerous theatrical productions in state-of-the-art venues, and summer field experiences.
Picture Yourself Here
Picture Yourself Here

Participate in an information session and sit in on a class to learn more about what it's like to be a grad student at Mason.

Gaining admission into our graduate programs is a multi-step process, but we're here to walk you through it. Find all the information you need and want here.


How Should I Submit My Transcripts?

Transcript submission and Requirements

Students applying for graduate study must have earned a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education, which is verified by official transcripts, by the time they enroll at Mason. Applicants are required to submit a transcript for each institution they have attended, even if they have not earned a degree. Official transcripts submitted in hard copy must be sealed in their original envelopes. Scanned or opened copies cannot be accepted as official.

Electronic Transcripts can be sent to Paper copies of official transcripts can be sent directly to:

Office of Graduate Admissions
George Mason University
4400 University Drive, MS 4C8
Fairfax, VA 22030

Students may upload a scanned copy of their official transcript as part of their online application. Your application can be reviewed with these documents. Please note, however, in the event that you are admitted and decide to attend Mason, the Office of Graduate Admissions requires an official copy to be on file within your first semester. Failure to submit an official copy of all required transcripts will result in a hold on your registration for the following term. 

International Applicants

Students applying for graduate study must have earned a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education by the time they enroll at Mason. Applicants are required to submit one copy of their transcript for each higher education institution they have attended. Unofficial versions of transcripts may be uploaded as part of the application and considered for admissions purposes. Please review the additional guidelines for international transcript submission

Official transcripts can be mailed directly to:

Office of Graduate Admissions
George Mason University
4400 University Drive, MS 4C8
Fairfax, VA 22030

A transcript evaluation is also required for all international transcripts. Evaluations must be completed by an accredited agency approved by NACES or AACRAO, or you may submit your transcript for evaluation by George Mason’s International Credential Evaluation office. Mason can perform an evaluation on complete, unofficial copies of transcripts. If you choose to use Mason’s service, please expect 6 to 8 weeks for processing.

For more information, visit the International section.

*Note: For admitted students needing an F-1 or J-1 visa, the Office of Graduate Admissions and the Office of International Services and Programs must have an official transcript on file before visa paperwork can be completed. These can be submitted to the Office of Graduate Admissions after receipt of an admitted decision to the above address. 

What Do I Need to Apply to a Licensure Program?


CVPA offers teaching licensure programs in Art, Music, and Theater at the graduate level. Students who complete these programs and meet the state's requirements are certified to teach PK through 12th grades in their subject area in the state of Virginia.

There are certain state-mandated requirements that are part of the application process for those who are seeking entry into a license-granting program at George Mason. This is why we ask for Passing Praxis Core Test Scores and an Endorsement Worksheet as part of your application.

Teacher Preparation Requirements

How Do I Submit A Portfolio or Pre-Screening Materials?

SlideRoom Submissions

All CVPA Graduate programs that require supplemental media materials as part of their application use SlideRoom to manage these submissions. Applicants who are applying to the following programs must upload their items through the appropriate SlideRoom portal:

  • Artist Certificate Programs, all concentrations
  • Certificate, Art Education Licensure
  • Master of Art, Graphic Design
  • Master of Art in Teaching, Art Education (MAT I track)
  • Master of Fine Arts, Visual and Performing Arts, concentration in Dance
  • Master of Fine Arts, Visual and Performing Arts, concentration in Graphic Design
  • Master of Fine Arts, Visual and Performing Arts, concentration in Theater
  • Master of Fine Arts, Visual and Performing Arts, concentration in Visual Arts
  • Master of Music, all concentrations
  • Doctor of Musical Arts, all concentrations

Items will not be accepted in any other format. The link to submit your SlideRoom portfolio should become available through your self-service center within 72 hours of submitting your online application. You should also be sent a link to the submission site through your confirmation email. If you do not receive the link or see it in your self-service center after 72 hours of submitting and paying for your online application, please contact the Office of Graduate Admissions ( or 703-993-9700) for assistance. 

Links and Fees

Links to these portals will be provided by email upon submission of your online application; links will not be posted on the CVPA or the programs' websites. A Mason ID number (i.e. G number) is required for SlideRoom submission and should be available through your application portal within 72 hours of submitting and paying for your online application to the university. If you do not see the information after the 72-hour time frame, please contact the Office of Graduate Admissions ( or 703-993-9700) for assistance. 

Please note that all supplemental media items will only be accepted through SlideRoom; no CVPA program will accept hard copies of materials or emailed items unless explicitly stated as part of the program's requirements. Students should read the requirements for their programs carefully and submit only what is required.

There is an additional fee for submitting materials through SlideRoom, which should not exceed $15.

Could I take classes without being in a degree program?

Non-Degree Admissions

Applicants who want to take courses in one of our schools must complete a non-degree application for the term in which the course is offered. Applications require a resume and transcripts of all institutions previously attended. Applicants should also indicate which courses they intend to take on the application. 

Transfer of Credit

Credits earned in non-degree status can potentially be transferred after admission to a degree-seeking program. For policies and guidelines, visit the University Catalog for more information. 


Who can I contact with questions?

For general questions about the admissions process—deadlines, contacts, clarification on application requirements, general Financial Aid questions—you are welcome to contact the CVPA Graduate Admissions Office for guidance at any stage in the Admissions process.

For technical assistance with the online application or to check on the status of submitted items, please contact the university's Office of Graduate Admissions directly at or call 703-993-9700 for direct help. 

Additional Questions?

For program-specific questions—such as information about coursework and other requirements, how to outline a curriculum plan, and available opportunities within the program—you may reach out to the program contact, all of whom are listed below. Please keep in mind that they cannot discuss your application with you while it is under review. Therefore, it is best to reach out to the program contact before you apply. For questions during the application review process, please contact the CVPA Graduate Admissions Office.

Topic Contact Information
Graduate Admissions: General Questions, SlideRoom, Endorsement Worksheet Questions (all disciplines) or 703-993-5576
Graduate Admissions: Application/Application-status related Questions Office of Graduate Admissions
Art Education programs, MFA in Visual Arts or Graphic Design, or Graphic Design, MA Prof. Robert Yi, Academic Advisor and Graduate Programs Coordinator for School of Art
Arts Management Aries Wilson, Program Coordinator
Computer Game Design Prof. Sang Nam, Graduate Program Coordinator
Dance: MFA in Visual and Performing Arts Prof. Elizabeth Price, Graduate Program Coordinator
703-993-1114 or
Music Education Programs: Certificate, MM, and Ph.D. Dr. Charles Ciorba, Director of Music Education for Reva and Sid Dewberry Family School of Music
Music Grad Programs: Artist Certificate, Music for Well-Being Certificate, MM and DMA Programs

Dr. Gregory Robinson, Director of Graduate Studies

Theater: MFA in Visual and Performing Arts and Theater Education program 

Kevin Murray
Interim Director


Mimsi Janis
Assistant Professor of Theater
Head of Theater Education